You are here
HECUA's Scholarship Program
- Scholarship for Racial Justice ($4,000)
- Scholarship for Social Justice ($1,500)
- Scholarship for Community Engagement ($750 for semester-long programs, and $333.33 for short-term programs)
The Scholarship for Racial Justice is a concrete commitment toward undoing institutionalized racism in higher education. This $4,000 award is available to students of color in HECUA programs whose home institution is a HECUA member school. HECUA has offered this scholarship since 2012.
The Scholarship for Social Justice is for first-generation college students, students from low-income families, or students of color. For many years, HECUA has offered a number of these $1,500 scholarships to students in HECUA programs who are enrolled at a HECUA member institution.
Finally, HECUA's Scholarship for Community Engagement is a $750 award. HECUA provides a number of these each semester to students who have worked for social change and whose future goals will be strengthened by a HECUA semester program. A few smaller awards in the amount of $333.33 are also made to students participating in January-term or summer programs (the same application process applies to both the $750 and the $333.33 awards).
Want to support these scholarships? Donate now!
HECUA Scholarship Application Deadlines (all applications are due no later than 11:59PM Central Time on the dates below)
|International||April 15||December 1||December 1||--|
|Domestic||April 15||--||December 1||April 15|
Complete the application on line using one of the links above. You may apply for only one scholarship per HECUA program. If you are participating in a second HECUA program and have already received a HECUA scholarship, you may apply for an additional scholarship for that second program.
- Students who apply for but do not receive the Scholarship for Racial Justice are allowed to withdraw from the HECUA program without financial penalty before the program begins. This is the only one of the three HECUA scholarships that allows withdrawal from a HECUA program before the program begins without financial consequences.
- If a school’s program application deadline comes before HECUA’s scholarship deadline, students always have until HECUA’s scholarship application deadline to submit scholarship materials. This is true even if a school’s application deadline comes earlier.
- All HECUA scholarships come from the same pool of funds. The number of awards distributed per year varies on how the funds fluctuate. The more money HECUA can fund-raise annually, the more scholarships we can distribute.
- The scholarship review committee looks primarily at your essay to assess candidates for these competitive scholarships. HECUA encourages you to have your essay reviewed by a mentor, a campus writing center, or an academic advisor.
- Applicants will be notified about the award status in mid-December or mid-May, depending on the term for which they are applying.
Looking for Funds? Talk To Your Home Campus, Too
Looking for other ways to finance a HECUA experience? Financial aid from home institutions often applies to HECUA programs. Students should consult with their home campus financial aid and study abroad offices. Be sure to also ask about additional scholarship possibilities available through your home campus. Perhaps a specific department has available funds reserved to support off-campus study. Also see the list of scholarships and scholarship search sites below.
Benjamin A. Gilman International Scholarship
Fund for Education Abroad
Hispanic Scholarship Fund (all HSF scholarships can also be used for study abroad through HECUA)
Lakselaget Foundation Scholarship
Sons of Norway Foundation Scholarships
Fund for Education Abroad: Minnesota Scholarship