Receive Credits That Count
HECUA's courses provide upper-level credits (junior- and senior- level credits). All students from HECUA consortium institutions receive at the very least "blanket credit," or sixteen credits toward graduation. Nearly all students also obtain significant major and minor credits for participating in HECUA programs. As is the case with most off-campus study programs, students should work directly with their home institution to receive credit toward a major, or credit toward another graduation requirement. (Other requirements might be "general education" requirements, "liberal education" requirements, or distribution requirements). Experienced HECUA staff are available to assist students in negotiating meaningful credit transfer.
First, to assist with the process of negotiating credits with advisors and registrars on campus, HECUA has compiled information on how recent participants in Art for Social Change have received major credit from their home institutions.
Second, HECUA's Director of Programs, Sarah Pradt, is always available for more information on credit transfer and for personalized assistance with students' individual situations.
Major and/or Minor Credit Students Have Received
• Bachelor of Individualized Study (BIS)
• Community Art
• Communication Studies
• Fine arts (photography)
• Graphic Design
• Humanities, Media, and Cultural Studies
• Individually Designed Interdepartmental Major (IDIM)
• Peace and Justice Studies
• Popular Media and Culture
• Studio Art
• Social Justice
• Theatre/Theatre Arts
• Urban Studies
Credit approval may be possible in other major or minor areas; the list above represents only arrangements reported to HECUA.
Previous Students' Methods for Credit Approval
• Spoke with Academic Advisor about credit approval process
• Spoke with Major/Minor Department Head about credit approval process
• Spoke with school's HECUA board representative
• First got general credit approval from school, then worked with Academic Advisor for Major/Minor credit approval
• Saved coursework and internship work (syllabus, papers, projects) to give to Academic Advisor and Major/Minor Department Head for credit approval process
• Worked with off-campus study office and Office of the Registrar for credit approval